Friday, January 30, 2009

The braces come on

My appointment to get my braces on was Thursday, January 29 at 8:15 a.m. They originally told me this should not take longer than 45 minutes. Well, due to a couple of factors, the whole process was 90 minutes. Definitely an annoying way to start the day and the journey of braces. First of all, there was a new orthodontic assistant doing some moves for the first time. Usually, I can be patient about this because I realize professionals have to start somewhere. Plus, she was really sweet (especially when I had a mild panic attack and started freaking out about all the stuff in my mouth and had to push her away and sit up — but I digress).

Well one of the brackets didn't bond. So after doing the whole set, they had to do another smaller round. Then one tooth was so tiny that something was holding right, so it needed to have extra wires around it for support. Well she had to call in backup for that elegant move, and of course that alone probably took 45 minutes.

I gotta say that the first day my mouth was fine. I managed to eat because I either had soup or mac n cheese or cut up a veggie burger into such tiny pieces that I practically swallowed them instead of chewed them. I took Ibuprofen regulary at 4-hour intervals. I took Tylenol PM at bedtime.

Amazingly, I woke up and still felt really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment